How to find the location where a picture was taken

Most of the time, there isn’t much information available within the picture itself.  However, certain smartphones (iphone) and high-end cameras have GPS built in, and geo-tag pictures. Advanced cameras also store metadata such as the model name, exposure settings, etc.  Even without the location information, the EXIF info stored on the image is still useful in the evidence gathering process.

1. Go to the Craigslist posting

2. Right click on the image and select Copy Link Location

3. Go to http://regex.info/exif.cgi and click Paste.

4. Now click on View Image at URL

5. The next page displays EXIF info, or information on the Camera, and, if available, the GPS-based location where the picture was taken.

… Scroll down for the GPS info

Tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to How to find the location where a picture was taken

1. Carmen says:

The information is very useful but I can’t seem to find the GPS info…Can you please help me?

• harmariadmin says:

Carmen, not every picture will have the GPS information in it. Only certain smartphones and cameras have the capability, and on some of those models the geo-coding of the pictures can be turned off.

2. Shree says:

can i find through lapee?

3. Brenda says:

What if its a private Facebook picture I can see

4. SDGIS says:

Is there a way to batch run this on many images in a folder to determine the time and location the images were taken? An output CSV file with filename, time, latitude and longitude would be awesome.

5. ed says:

I don’t have an option to copy link location.

6. Tom says:

I have uploaded plenty of images taken with my ipod touch to imgur and then checked to see if I could get a location from them, and I haven’t been able to get a location from any of them. Even though I have had location services on, so I should be able to see see the location of these pictures taken however I am not. I have also put in links to over 15 craiglists pictures and not once seen the location in the viewer is the viewer no longer working? Out of all these pictures I should get atleast one location especially the ones taken with my iTouch where I know I had location services on.

• harmariadmin says:

Craigslist and Imgur are probably stripping all the EXIF information prior to storing the data in their databases. It depends entirely on each site’s policies. I suggest using PhotoBucket which does preserve the EXIF information in the original pic.

• anon says:

iTouches don’t have GPS

7. Pingback: Canada STi-Car Owners Group on Facebook - Toronto Subaru Club

8. Ney says:

what does Primary Platform Apple Computer Inc. mean??
    does it mean that the person who uploaded it used an apple computer??

9. Kaleshi says:

i did, but i can not see de GPS.

10. jake says:

can this be done on face book photos and how.

11. James Royce says:

You can also use the Photo Investigator iPhone/iPad app to see the photo location

12. John says:

Kinda useless when just about every picture out there strips the EXIF data from the picture.